Sunday 21 September 2014

Shinjuku - a new world


Taking the train from Tama to Shinjuku was truly a new experience for me. Born bilingual, and having an ease with languages in general, I've never had a feeling of being completely lost. After all, all european languages are close to each other and at least you can read out what the sign are saying and make some connections.

But not in Japan. First time ever I was standing there just trying to make any sense of the signs. A tingling in my stomach, to see Shinjuku - busiest place in the world. I don't think I've ever been as nervous.

Arriving in Shinjuku was amazing. I was waiting to be swallowed in the masses - but I wasn't. There was room to stand around and be lost. I have always been a city girl, of course I can look at a nice field and go "cool". But skyscrapers and citybuzz - my heaven! And Shinjuku was paradise. Already on my way trying to find the hotel I was angry at myself for planning the trip so short.

Ah yes, finding the hotel. I didn't have a proper map, I had looked up what direction to take though. It was nice weather and a new city to explore so off I went. Now, one thing about at least Shinjuku. The streets don't have names. They are however numbered, so I started walking in what I assumed was the right direction and tried to spot signs. Once I did, I actually walked around a block to figure out the system. After that I was golden and good to go!

I don't know what to say about Shinjuku. Most of the time I was only walking around and just being amazed about the buzz.I wish I could say I did lots of cool stuff, but I didn't. I have some highlights from the trip that I will update with, but here's the general world I took with me home.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share thoughts and ideas. Please don't spam.