Monday 17 November 2014

New adventures: Amsterdam

Some people say that I tend to do quick turns in life.

I wouldn't say that they are completely correct, although I can see their reasoning.

My mind is constantly thinking about the next steps in life. I have always been a planner, having 5 different plans ready. So, when an opportunity presents itself, I'm all ready to go.

That's actually what has been going on again.

I had started to think about moving on from Malta and had already set my mind on Amsterdam. I have met some absolutely fantastic people on the rock, and of course the way we live there can be considered luxurious. But from the start, Malta has felt claustrophobic.

Sure, if you have no goals in life and enjoy living in a minimalistic village without anything to offer and don't mind giving up all efforts for a private life, Malta is heaven.

To me, it was just making me unhappy. In so many ways.

And then suddenly, I was in the midst of finding a new job. And I realised that I really don't have a perfect plan ready to leave the rock with, but the thought of staying for another year was too horrible.

Because I had already made up my mind about what my next step would be. The timing was just a bit crappy. For a week and a half, I was torn. I did have some interesting job opportunities going on, but I always came back to the thought 'I don't want to be here'.

And when talking to a recruiter, it became so clear. I just needed to book the flight and hope for the best. After all, I knew exactly where I wanted to be, I just didn't have any safety net installed.

So, a week ago on Thursday I booked the tickets and on Saturday I landed in Amsterdam, Netherlands ready for a new adventure. Was it quick? In a way, yeah. In honesty I was thinking of this more like a fishing trip.

'I'll go and have a look, do a few interviews and be back in a few weeks'

Well, that won't happen. I will be back at some point but only to get the rest of my stuff. I know I didn't really clue in that many about me leaving, but it wasn't supposed to be a 'forevah and evah' trip.

A week from landing, I have a great new job that I am extremely excited about and I am living in a really nice apartment.

Was it worth the risk? So far, definitely. I still need time to get a normal life rolling, but I couldn't think of anywhere else I would want to be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share thoughts and ideas. Please don't spam.