Saturday 10 January 2015

Tabak row

I mentioned earlier that I'll try and get these here. For once I'm keeping my promise.

On my Saturdaystroll, I was suddenly surrounded by an awesome burst of colors and wonderful street art.
The interwebs tells me that I was in the middle of Tabak row, a legendary squatters block known for hosting artists and other lively folks.



Apparently Tabak row is condemned because squatting has become illegal and a big bad real estate company wants to re-do everything to hotels and luxury apartments. There's always a big bad real estate company involved in destroying the beauty and character of cities.






The center of Tabak row is the Snakehouse, which was originally squatted in 1983 and hosts a gallery, movie nights and has/had about 10 artists living here. I found a pretty interesting piece about the Snakehouse that can be read here. I tried to find more info about what today's situation is, but most I found was old info and/or in dutch.


I hope they get to keep the block going. Rather look at street art than damn luxury apartments.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share thoughts and ideas. Please don't spam.