Monday 25 November 2013

The Day before

I'm flying up to Dublin tomorrowmorning for a weeks holiday, and today I'm realising how many preparations I usually do before travelling and now...I don't seem to have any.

Everything that is stressing me is workrelated. Have I shown my backup everything she needs to do? Did I remember to move over all my responsibilities? Have they got access to everything they need?

I'm honestly a bit lost. I'm one of those who triplecheck my packings, and spend the days before making lists, start washing  up clothes I might need, pack/unpack/repack. Dubbelcheck, start over, check again. The night before travelling I'm still sitting tired and crying with all my stuff because I feel I'll never get everything organized before I go.

But. This time. First of all, clothes are expensive in Malta. Clothes are cheap in Dublin.

During the 4 months I've lived in Malta, I haven't bought a single item of clothing because everything seems so darn expensive. Since I've know about going to Dublin for a while now, I've postponed all my shopping to when I go there. And since I'm flying with RyanAir without checked in baggage, I need to count kilos. And I really do have a lot of shopping to do, my existing wardrobe really needs a huge makeover.

So,I made the smart choice of flying up with the clothes I'm wearing and an empty bag. At least, I think it's a smart choice.

Also, flying with only handbaggage does limit a bit your packings. I can't take my big bottles of hairspray and hairconditioner with me, because I can't take them on the flight. I actually left all those kinds of stuff with my old housemates in Dublin when I moved, with the deal that whenever I come to visit, I can always borrow the few drops of toothpaste and soap I'll need. Or go and buy a freaking hairspray for a euro if it's an emergency.

I've been broke until this morning, so I guess I need to pick up a few souvenirs. Which, actually, I might as well buy from the airport and kill the time that way before the flight. Done.

Since, in Malta it's not like walking to the street and you can hail a cab, I already ordered a cab for tomorrow, so I don't need to worry about that. At dublin end I can take the bus, I just need to take my buscard. Which actually still has enough credit to take me into city center from the airport.

And I already checked in to all my flights and printed out the boarding passes. That used to be a big stressmoment for me, but this summer I had 8 flights within a 3 week period, so I got pretty handy at that. EVEN when it's RyanAir.

My passport is always in my "day-handbag", so I don't need to look for that. I still haven't got a Maltese bank account, so I only use my Irish bankcard, so that is already in my handbag.

So my complete packing is pretty much the following:
  • Both phones and their chargers. Which I can't pack until the morning.
  •  My Dublin-buscard.
  • Some souveniers. From the airport, so no packing.
  • Mascara and my favourite perfume (a minitesterbottle so it travels alright).And they are already in my handbag.
  • Passport and boardingpasses, already in my handbag.
  • Clothes to wear when flying. Well, never yet walked out of the house undressed so yeah, I don't think this will be a problem.
  • Book for the flight. I'm oldschool and like to read real books - which I always buy at the airport.
I must be forgetting something, ain't I? What am I forgetting?

And am I the only one who stresses about packing and pre-travelpreparations?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do share thoughts and ideas. Please don't spam.